Sometimes you are on the start-line of a race knowing exactly what lies ahead. For me, the 2017 Naseby 12hour was anything but. I hadn't intended to race, I was lined up ready to support Jordan. But an accident at the Tekapo 10hr took Jordan out of race and I decided to snap up an opportunity to test myself in ways I never knew I could be.
The morning of the race, I was a bundle of nervous energy, checking over my food, listening to Jordan's advice and killing time to the start. Taking Jordan's advice, I had prepared a selection of baked potatoes and chocolate rice cakes for pit-stop fuelling up. My race plan: eat, drink, and just keep spinning. This race day was made a little more special as it was my Nana's birthday and I had named my trusty Rumor Patrick after her.
The race started with what can be only described as an awkward jog in cycling shoes around the pits and up to where the bikes were waiting. Jordan was waiting ready with my bike and after a quick few words of advice, pushed me off on my way. The first few laps flew by, possibly a little quickly as I settled into around a 45min lap pace. All seemed pretty good so far, I was making friends on the track and the legs were feeling responsive. I had worked my way into second place but I knew there was still a long day ahead.
My final lap was by far the biggest challenge yet. As I thought ahead to the sections of single track and hills left, the 12kms felt like 20. But this was it, my last lap to secure second place and third was only 100 meters in front of me. I fought but I conserved, taking solace in the fact that this was the last time i had to climb each hill. From the top of the last hill, relief filled me as i glided down the last two sections of track, I was on lap 13 and I wasn't taking chances. I crested the last hill and knew there was only Collarbone Alley left with its roots and small lips. I held my emotions of finishing at bay and raced down the last section and across the line.
The morning of the race, I was a bundle of nervous energy, checking over my food, listening to Jordan's advice and killing time to the start. Taking Jordan's advice, I had prepared a selection of baked potatoes and chocolate rice cakes for pit-stop fuelling up. My race plan: eat, drink, and just keep spinning. This race day was made a little more special as it was my Nana's birthday and I had named my trusty Rumor Patrick after her.
The race started with what can be only described as an awkward jog in cycling shoes around the pits and up to where the bikes were waiting. Jordan was waiting ready with my bike and after a quick few words of advice, pushed me off on my way. The first few laps flew by, possibly a little quickly as I settled into around a 45min lap pace. All seemed pretty good so far, I was making friends on the track and the legs were feeling responsive. I had worked my way into second place but I knew there was still a long day ahead.
All smiles through the pits in the early stages
What followed for the next few hours wasn't so glorious. From 3 hours my body started to feel the lack of specific training, though this was to be expected with such a spontaneous decision to race. When my lap times started to slip towards the 50minute mark, my mood dropped, and the suffering ensued. My support crew of Jordan and my Mum and Dad were my heroes, first swapping over bottles and then running to the opposite side of the pits to hand me food and other needed items for the next lap.
Jordan: my number one supporter!
All was not lost as I kept pushing on, reaching the realisation that my race wasn't going to be all about how fast I could ride a lap, but about ticking off laps and getting them on the board, one by one. The orders came in to start drinking a bottle a lap and from 5.30hrs my body started to love the riding and my mood improved. With that I was back to being everyone's friend on course, making light conversation with whoever was stuck behind me at the time. The amount of on course support from both teams and solo riders became one of my highlights of the race. A big thank you has to go out to Greg and Johnny, two solo riders who checked up on me each time they came round to lap me, as well as all the support crews and riders who cheered me through the pits each lap!
The smiles are coming back, 7hours in, lap 9 here I come
Almost like he knew I needed it, Jordan started popping up on course to cheer me on. it was either that or he was restless watching everyone else ride past all day. I knew I was still in second place and my mind changed from ticking off laps to defending my position. I asked for splits on where third place was sitting. Over the next few laps I was told 8mins, 12 mins then 30mins! Third had started to fade and it gave me some confidence in my racing. I took on more food, knocked back a gel to give me a wee caffeine boost and set into my pace, just hoping I wouldn't go the same way.
As the hours wore on and the dark zone approached, my body started to protest.... a lot. The pain was starting to show on my face and the thoughts of stopping started to creep into my mind. I was hurting. At 8.5 hours, the call was made to change helmet, ready for when I needed my light. My pit crew were very patient with me as I protested the food that was being stuffed in my mouth, telling them I wanted to be sick and let them dress me in warmers. The emotions were starting to come out but their support gave me strength. Jordan had been keeping track of my progress and told me that with the time left and the position of third, I only needed three laps to keep second... I could do that!
Ok, I think I can do this, only three laps left to ride
As I pedalled through my last laps, thinking to myself 'at the end of this laps its only two more to go' or 'after this it's ONLY ONE MORE!!!!'. I needed this as my knees had really started to protest and all I could think was what a terrible physio student I was by pushing through the pain. It was dark but still a surprisingly warm evening. In my mind I was running over possibilities of stopping early, I could still have second, but was I be willing to not do everything I could to secure it? Cue the excellent support on course and in the pits again, everyone was cheering you on for going it solo, I knew I wanted to give it my all. Plus I was enjoying making the neighbouring teams laugh with my exhausted comments each lap.
Finished: the emotions can come out now
I was in disbelief, I was in tears but I had done it! 11hours 9minutes. 13 laps. Stuffed potatoes, rice cakes and an incredible supports crew had got me through. And I was second! None of this would have been possible without my parents making the trip down to support me and everything Jordan did as my support crew to make sure all I had to do was pedal.
This races was always going to be more than just a challenge, it was a test to see where my limits were and how far I could push them. I definitely hadn't been prepared for the emotional roller-coaster that would unfold during the race but I discovered just how strong I can be, and how far I can push myself.

Comments
Post a Comment